Friday, June 3, 2016

Road trip & Survey / IMN Conference / People stuff

It’s said that when we get older we tend to get less sleep.  I don’t remember if it’s that we need less sleep or not.  But as I’ve aged (I don’t feel like I’m getting older and certainly don’t ever want to be seen as acting ‘my age’) I haven’t slept less – I’ve never slept more then 5-6 hours a night.  Even when I was playing full time in a rock and roll band, and we’d get home at like 3 or 4 am, I’d still only sleep 5-6 hours.  During the time when the band was living in the same house, I was up doing things when the other guys were sleeping – a couple of them until 3-4 in the afternoon (boy did they miss a lot!).  But everyone has his or her own biorhythm, as it were, and mine has been consistent.  I began typing this at 4:30am this morning.  Many years ago I learned that my best times, my most productive times were early morning.  And so…

I mentioned a couple of weeks back that I was having a medical procedure and would be ‘off the road’ for a few weeks.  Thanks to those of you who’ve checked in with me to see how things went.  The report is in:  the laser prostate surgery went well.  My doctor, who wears cowboy boots in the office and big bulky fishing boots in the operating room, had told me that I had a ‘Texas-sized prostate’ but that this relatively new-fangled laser procedure could take care of things  - and it did. 
Yippee-ki-yay!
**

On the road - Summer 2016
Thank you for the great suggestions about places to see on my summer 2016 road trip.  For those of you who didn’t catch that column, I’m going to get in my car and drive around for a couple or three weeks stopping in state capitols (to visit state pension fund folks and see fantastic old churches and pipe organs) and do some sightseeing that I’ve put off for too long.  

The first mapping idea looks like this:
  • Richmond, VA
  • Washington, DC (I know - it’s not a state capitol!)
  • Trenton, NJ
  • Albany, NY
  • Hartford, CT
  • Columbus, OH
  • Lansing, MI
  • Madison, WI
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Bismarck, ND
  • Pierre, SD
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Springfield, IL
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Frankfort, KY
  • Nashville, TN
  • Raleigh, NC

Traveling over the summer I’ll know I run the risk of some folks I'd like to see who will be on vacation. But that could very well give me the opportunity to meet new people.  

I'm crafting a 3-5 question ‘survey’ that I’ll be asking those folks who make real estate investment decisions/recommendations for public pension funds and will publish those results when the trip ends.  I’m also going to try to see industry friends, clients, prospective clients and personal friends as I roam around. I love driving and, who knows, maybe a couple of friends will want to ‘hitch a ride’ with me for parts of the trip.

P.S.  Yesterday, I test drove this incredible RV (Recreational Vehicle).  Before I moved to North Carolina last November, I was considering buying an RV and living and traveling in it full-time.  The bug has hit me again – although even though I was quoted a great price on this Thor Vegas Motorcoach - I’m going to wait and do more and more research and thinking.  There’s no rush!
**

People…
There’s been some very interesting in some cases surprising people moves in the industry lately.  I’m looking forward to speaking with some of those folks – in some cases to congratulate them and in other cases to find out what happened.  People have always felt comfortable talking with me about what’s going on with them.  I believe it’s based on two things:  one, they know I’m sincerely interested and two, they know that ‘the cone of silence’ is in effect when we speak – it goes no further than them and me.  One thing that makes me feel good is if I’m able to help someone and, if it’s a career situation, if I can help one party, I’m also helping the other side as well.  

IMN Conference  - New York – June 13/14
My post-surgery no travel ban will be lifted next week and on June 12 I head to New York. On June 13 and 14 I’ll be at IMN’s Opportunity and Private Real Estate Fund Investing Forum.  My ‘signature panel’ – A Day in the Life of an LP – is scheduled for 5pm on Monday, June 13.  Even though some folks look at that slot – standing between attendees and cocktail time – as not desirable, I’ve always felt that those who want to be somewhere will be there. 

My panelists are Ione Willsmann (U.S. Steel / Carnegie), Beth Thomas (Harvard Management), Judy McMahan (UPS) and Brian Boyer (Westpath Investment Management – The United Methodist Church Pension Fund).  There will be no presentations, no slides.  We’ll talk candidly about what a typical day in the life of an LP looks like (good days and not so good!), how LP’s like to be communicated with (and how they don’t), what they’re looking for in new managers / partners, what their challenges are and other topics that come up (such as what not to do!). 

I advise my panelists that I don’t need to micro-manage. They should feel free to engage each other as this experience can give them some takeaways as well (in addition to them providing good stuff for the audience members to take home with them).  Hope to see you there – we’re going to have some fun!
**
Congratulations to…
  • John Faust on joining Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers
  • Dennis Irvin, John Rivard and Doug Lee on the launch of Brightstone Capital Partners
  • Jennifer Morgan on joining law firm King and Spalding as a partner
  • Colonel Maria del Pilar Ryan (known to her friends as Pilar) on her induction in to the New York State Veterans Hall of Fame. (Btw, Pilar conducts unique leadership retreats and is a wonderful public speaker)
  • Susan Wallace on announcing her retirement, after more than 30 years, from USAA Real Estate Company.  Susan has always been a class act and a wonderful role model for and mentor to women in the commercial real estate industry.
  • Jonathan Lulu on joining American Realty Advisors
  • Amanda Strong with MIT Investment Management Co.
  • Nicholas Skiadas now with The Davis Companies        
  • Marty Alston who joined Bentall Kennedy
  • (Amanda, Nicholas and Marty’s placement was done by Hillary and Tim Shine of Shine Associates) 

Enjoy your weekend!
Steve




No comments:

Blog Archive