Last week I mentioned that I had seen what looked like 1 million square feet of industrial space vacant on the NJ Turnpike. An old industry friend, Doug Haynes of Alexander Summer Company in New Jersey wrote to correct me: It's more like 12 million square feet, depending on what section of the highway you're talking about. Last year at Exit 8A alone it was more than 1 million square feet!
Recently I've had the opportunity to see a number of resumes of people in the masters programs of some of the top business schools in the country.. I was a little surprised to see that many included "Interests" or "Additional Information" sections at the end. I was never coached to include these type of things as there is a risk that you'll turn someone off. Here are some examples:
- Interests: fishing (inshore, offshore and fly) and guitar
- Climbing high points
- In the process of visiting every U.S. state with my wife
- Interests include golf (maintain 8 handicap) and international travel (visited 35 countries)
- Other interests include running, fitness instruction, constructing puzzles and volunteering with at-risk youth
- Visited historic and modern architectural landmarks throughout Europe
- Accomplished competitive sailboat racer
- Interests: Architecture and Design; International Travel; Football; Skiing: Golf; BBQ Grilling
- Interests include new urbanism
- Motorcycle enthusiast, enjoy golfing and working with youth
- Enjoy Boston Red Sox, Notre Dame football, cooking Italian and personal investing
- Enjoy skiing, reading historical fiction, exploring local restaurants
- Interests include pickup basketball, documentary film, architecture, reading, travel and boxing
- Active trader in equity and derivatives markets
- Over five years performing salsa dance in Mexico, Spain and US
- Interests include free-market economics, coaching/mentoring, collegiate athletics, weight training, nutrition and my three year-old chocolate Labrador Retriever.
- Active top secret security clearance with full scope polygraph
- Interests : running, basketball, volleyball, golf, general aviation, flamenco guitar, economic theory
- Interests: Long-distance running, traveling, tennis, Trojan football and snowboarding
- Reader, avid golfer and novice fly-fisherman, also enjoys dog training and learning the culinary arts
- Interests: Teaching my nephew basketball, mentoring, cooking, boxing, playing poker, studying Hinduism and learning Hindi (my fiancee is Hindu)
- Interests: Electric violin, acoustic guitar, tennis, golf, basketball, cartography, orhestral music, wildlife conservation
Final item: Headlines from RCA's Month in Review report published yesterday: More Positive Signals, But a Bumpy Ride Ahead: Strong sales and price gains mix with sluggishness
On the road....
March 4-7: Montreal
March 16: New York for the IPD USA Index Launch
March 23-25: Boston for PREA's Spring Conference
April 1: Albany, New York
April 11-14: Dallas to attend the UBS Investor Conference
April 16-21: Tuscany
April 21-23: Venice for the annual INREV Conference
April 26-20: London
May 13-15: North Palm Beach, FL for the annual Homer Hoyt Institute/Hoyt Fellows conference
Photo: West 88th Street, Manhattan @ 7:15am today.
These are my views and not that of my employer.